- 4 lb 4lb(1.8 kg) (1.8 kg) sliced small cucumbers
- 2 2oniononions, thinly sliced
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup 1/4cup(60 mL) (60 mL) pickling salt
- 32 32ice cubes
- 3 cups 3cups(750 mL) (750 mL) granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 cups 2-1/2cups(625 mL) (625 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp 2tbsp(30 mL) (30 mL) mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp 1tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) celery seeds
- 1 tsp 1tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsp(1 mL) (1 mL) ground cloves
In large stainless-steel or glass bowl, toss together cucumbers, onions, red pepper, salt and 16 of the ice cubes. Sprinkle remaining ice cubes over top; let stand for 3 hours. Drain well; rinse and drain well again. Set aside.
In large heavy shallow saucepan, bring sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric and cloves to boil; add vegetables and return to boil.
Pack with liquid into six 2-cup (500 mL) canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) headspace. Remove any air bubbles, readjusting headspace if necessary. If necessary, wipe rims. Cover with prepared lids. Screw on bands until resistance is met; increase to fingertip tight. Boil in boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Makes 12 cups (3 L).