Collard Greens Recipe
We use bacon fat here primarily for flavor. Bacon fat provides an excellent balance to the natural bitter of the collard greens. That said, you can easily skip the bacon fat and just use a little more olive oil.
- 2 lbs collard greens, tough stems discarded, leaves chopped
- 2 Tbsp medium onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons bacon fat
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp dark sesame oil (Dynasty or comparable)
- Chili pepper flakes, a pinch
- Salt, a couple pinches
- Sugar, a couple pinches
- 1 Use a large skillet with a tight fitting cover. Melt bacon fat and heat olive oil on medium heat. Sauté onion until transparent, a couple of mintues. Add garlic and and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 2 Mix in the greens, sesame oil, chili pepper flakes, salt, and sugar. Cover and cook until tender, 8-15 minutes. (Note that young collard greens will cook up relatively quickly. Older greens may take upwards of 45 minutes to tenderize.)
- If you want, serve with barbecue sauce.